Tuesday, October 31, 2006

I Got Mashed in 2006

Picture by Cian

The much-yearned-for partying season got back into full swing from last Friday. Those of us in Belfast ramped it up in a leisurely, tortoise-paced style for Lambchop, but followed it with the full-on techno workout (seriously, I felt like a million bucks the next morning) that was Magda at the Stiff Kitten. Back home, we heard reports of drunken disarray for Fionn's 21st celebrations on Friday night, meaning at least one of our team members on here missed the revelling boat that was the party in Ramelton on Saturday (Aidan, I'm looking in your hungover direction).

Daithi mentioned that he thought Lambchop were a bit self-indulgent when they played in Letterkenny those many moons ago. I was at that gig, and only getting into the 'Chop at that stage, and most of what I remember was people being annoyed and leaving. I must admit though, that while my tastes at that point were still firmly confined to the paddling pool of development, I liked what I heard. Since then, Lambchop have gone on to join that clubhouse in my brain for musical artists that I think will always be my favourites. I love Kurt Wagner's turn of phrase, I love their glorious warm instrumentation, and I love something they have which is very hard to find in a lot of music - subtlety. They didn't disappoint on Friday night, and I'll have to get my hands on the new album soon, because what they played from it sounds fantastic. Highlight of the show, for me at least, was "My Blue Wave" and "The Daily Growl", two of my favourite songs, both from one of my favourite albums, Is A Woman.

Post-Lambchop, we legged it to The Stiff Kitten, where Phil Kieran was whipping the crowd up like cream for the appearance of Magda. Her straight-up techno set was a joy to behold, and tough work for the old dancing stamina. Plenty of ideas for what would turn out to be my utterly incompetent spell on the ones-and-twos the following night.

And, for those of us who managed not to mangle ourselves with all the silly shenanigans, what fun we had. House parties are always the best parties. Add: (1) some marvellous costumes (I think Ian Paisley deserved the prize for best dressed), (2) delicious food, (3) horse-loads of booze, (4) stonking tunes (I somehow managed to get Audion and Alex Under rattling the walls, in spite of being what you might describe as out of my mind; Dano had the never-fail Kernkraft 400 and Four Tet's Arab Strap remix as just a few of his highlights), and (5) practically all your best friends, as well as some new ones, and hey presto, you've got a night to remember...

Roll on En-ger-land...

12 comments:

robvanhalen said...

here sur gon bring a camera with youse, when you come over, so we have photographic evidence for the bebo thing and possibly the ensuing court case, i cant emphasise (i think i spelled that wrong) how much i want to drink. oh and also there will be no house drinking, we must drink in the union, but dont worry its 1.50 to 2.00 for a cunting drink.

Daithi said...

fair play. been chatting to phil kieran about bringing his live band to L'kenny, alloy mental, u think they would go down well? phil was the most popular dj we had when the fubar was the cell and cheeba was the only club in town to play dance music of any kind, ah happy memories. Would get ye lot to do some things even djing if ye still not up to playing live techno. also sean phono one, and dec and rachel and maybe decal too if thats not gilding the lilly a bit! probably summer time if I can get the Earagail aR(t)se fest to see what a great idea it is..... I hear the party on sat was great and the music top notch.. enjoy the arabs... rach is playing with me this fri in the fubar as Marty is away across the atlantic to drink and terrorise american women in Boston.

dkln said...

fuck you conor, fuck you

KickAcid said...

holy fuck, thats me in that picture, i dont remember that.

KickAcid said...

also, i believe alloy mental would go down a storm, this guy wouldnt stop bangin on about him to me one time when i was djin.

Shane said...

daithi, you tell dave about alloy mental? guys was into them big style recently....

KickAcid said...

also Tuggers post really put in to perspective just how much partying has gone down recently. Last night me, Tugboat and Piaris ventured to belfasts premier "bum-bar" the Kremlin on the advice of the ladyfolk and their gay friends(how cosmo). My cowboy hat was robbed at Emilys so me and conor raided the ladies clothes and dressed up as the two cheapest lookin trannies in town which in the context of being in a gay bar is like placing a big fucking pot of gay honey in front of a big pile of gay bee's.
It was a riot though.

Daithi said...

will tell him shane, still early days yet, many a slip and all that, phil has said he's up for it but we need to talk dates and see whats practical, he's a very busy man these days.I reckon we could get 400 in the upstairs of the orchard if we really went for it. Start at 9pm that sort of thing... oh i believe thats you in the other half of that photo? the dishevelled suit?

Shane said...

I'm trying to see....my suit was quite dishevelled by the night's end, I'd imagine. So probably.

I actually haven't been anywhere near the shop in ages....in Belfast not going to class a lot these days. I have to do a 2500 word essay on Chaplin's Gold Rush, some Keaton film or some DW Griffith movies. I haven't watched any of them, or gone to any of the lectures....good times.

Aidan, mostly said...

Post Fionn's party, i had probably the worst hangover since Hiroshima. Fucking really wanted to go to Emily's but couldn't move without projectile vomiting. It was unreal

Tugboat said...

Rob: We are gonna get what the youth call "crazy-drunk".

Daithi: Fuck, that'd be top to get Alloy Mental up! And it'd be some craic to get all that live stuff going in L/K. If we're all up for it, I don't see why not! Summer would probably be the best time for it anyway, what with college and whanot...

Declan: We missed your irrepressible party spirit on Saturday. See you soon...

Dano: I can't believe we actually went to the Kremlin! Laughs & a few halfs though...

Aidan: Was that hangover "the big one"? We'll be partying in Galway sometime soon anyway, no doubt...

robvanhalen said...

i fucking love alloy mental. i used to hate the singers old band corrigan, and was really suprised when i heard alloy mental. it has been playing on my stereo while i fuck for half a year. i got a love is fucking legendary