Saturday, October 21, 2006

Friday Night w/Tugboat

EDIT: It looks like I'm copying Gooch's numbered posting style, but I just think it's a useful technique, is all.

DOUBLE EDIT: Hey look, in case you don't know how to scroll down the screen, check it out: Gooch posted just before me. And Brian before that. And, before that again, Aidan posted, and so on. Now, on with the show.


1. "Art is created by artists so that the viewer has the opportunity to create something," said Brian Eno, said Jason Kottke. I love those apparently simple insights that give you a completely different perspective on things. Brian Eno seems to be especially good at them. Kurt Vonnegut's another.

2. "The first thing we're going to need is a kick drum, because without a kick drum, it's going to sound shit."



The Museum of Techno's YouTube videos.

3. Man to Man with Dean Lerner (Fridays, C4 11.05pm): a. Incredibly irritating audience laughter; b. Stilted acting in the interview (although maybe that was intentional?); c. Funny for the badly produced 80s cut scenes - basically where they redo Darkplace. d. So if the funny bit is redoing the old show, what's the point, really?



TODD RIVERS - One Track Lover (Original 12") (Thanks, Declan)

4. More weighty concerns: I saw Gavin Bryars' "The Sinking Of The Titanic" performed this week at Queen's by the Smith String Quartet through the floor beneath me. Beautiful. You can hear it in the video below.



As I sat and listened I was wondering why the name rang a bell - then, halfway through the next piece, it hit me:

GAVIN BRYARS - Raising the Titanic [Aphex Twin's Big Drum mix] (From 26 Mixes for Cash)

5. Coincidences. The next day the Dublin Guitar Quartet were playing at Queen's, and performed pieces by Steve Reich and Philip Glass as well as the one they do below, and a few others.



Meanwhile, just yesterday, Jason Kottke (see point 1) talked about Steve Reich (his piece "New York Counterpoint" for clarinets is what's playing in the video below), with particular reference to his use of phasing. Today, TAPE have an interview with Canadian techno producer Mathew Jonson where he talks about the related idea of polyrhythms: "...different instruments playing in different time signatures at the same time creating long phrases in music that repeat at certain points in the phrase. 4/4 over 6/8 for example at the same tempo".



Head here and download "India in Me" by Cobblestone Jazz, one of Jonson's group projects. It's in a similar vein to his tune "Marionette", where the off-kilter repetition seems like it could go on forever. Meanwhile, a Coldcut remix of Steve Reich's "Music for 18 Musicicians" is lying around over here.

19 comments:

magooo said...

jeez, thanks a lot for giving my post some time to breath huh :)

Shane said...

yeah, kinda blocked his out there tug. it had a brief 2 hours very early in the morning with which to catch people's attention; i don't know if that was enough.

Tugboat said...

Youse are spastics.

I was typing away for yonks, and when I clicked Publish, lo and behold there was already a post there.

My deepest apologies, but that's what you get when there's a million people on the same blog...

magooo said...

haha, yup!

Brian said...

see how gracious gooch was to make reference to my last post at the start of his, you could learn a thing or two from him mc cafferty

Tugboat said...

Shut your fucking mouth.

magooo said...

haha, good jokes conor!

KickAcid said...

a minibus is leaving mr chippie tonight at nine, everybody get on it for its going to a party with free booze where i will be on the one two's.

Tugboat said...

Party all the ti-ime...

Brian said...

god I'm still so fucked can't sleep though, guess I'll just fuck around.............I wanna fuck around

Brian said...

In relation to your double edit:
you cheeky boy

dkln said...

the dublin guitar quartet sound like Redneck Manifesto

Tugboat said...

Yeah, they're a lot like them. They were using electric guitars at the concert I was at as well, so that's the first impression I got.

Daithi said...

quality blogging lads there may not be a lot of wrk done 2day while I check this all out! how was arena 7? the fubar was rockin on friday one of hte best nights for months... sat was a bit dull, kinda ended up dj by numbers again, tired to take them in a vut up hip hop style but they wouldnt go 4 it unlike fridays crowd who were very receptive ...

KickAcid said...

We was actually djin in a big fancy house party, I djed till about half four and me and tugboat kinda did fly dj.it was quite odd, i got very drunk and left all my cd's in a big messy pile.some guy asked me to play the new killers and I said i didnt have it, so then he asked me to play old killers and I told him to fuck off. That guy was a black greasy haired (his hair was black, not him) cunt, he looked a bit like anthony from big brother, pure cunt like him too.

Daithi said...

if I'm feeling nice I usually say something like 'no but I'll play AC/DC' and if not the 'do i look like a jukebox line'. Fuck off works quite well though.
Just found out I'm doing Sunday night in he big room in the fubar, must be a bank holiday...

Tugboat said...

Yeah it's a bank holiday there but not in the north I don't think... :(

magooo said...

Piaras is in the building, i just noticed. hawt.

KickAcid said...

welcome to the fold.