Thursday, October 19, 2006

FRESH PRINCE

I was dreaming when I wrote this so forgive me if it goes astray. I've haven't always been a fan of Prince Rogers Nelson, I mean how could I be, he hails from a completely different era than myself. I have faint memories of wondering into the room of one of my friends teenage sisters room when I was about seven and discovering the walls were completely plastered with the man, if I recall correctly it was the sort of thing were she had just cut out magazine pictures and had herself fashioned his name from green and orange neon papers which she had I supposed purchased in toyland. At the time I knew little of him and pretty much thought of him as laughable I mean the cat was pretty out there. Seeing him and the revolution on stage has always reminded me of jayce and the wheeled warriors I mean they seem like they’d make a great band of intergalactic space pirates.



It wasn't until I was about fifteen that I discovered just what a talented guy he was. It pretty much started with seeing the video to purple rain, I of course had seen him before on tv what with all the "artist formerly known as" malarky, but it wasn't until then that I discovered his unique appeal. It's the combination of technical musicianship, great song writing, the fact that he gives his performances absolutely everything he’s got and just the fact that you can surrender yourself to his massive ego, bizarre image permanent position as an eighties synth poster boy. Part of it is about the hilarity of it all I mean he was once pelted of the stage when opening for the rolling stones because all he was wearing was high heels, a trench coat and female underwear and I constantly find myself laughing at his insane and insanely dirty lyrics, but it's in a good way I mean who else could write a song about a "raspberry beret" or have the gall to sing "I sincerely wan't to fuck the taste out of your mouth"(by the way it was because of prince that explicit lyric warning stickers were created). He claims he can write a song about anything and I have no reason to doubt him.



He’s released over 1000 songs for himself and others and I don't intend to diss the great Michael Jackson but how do you suppose he would have done back then without the production skills of Quincy, practically every single prince song ever released states "written, produced, composed and arranged by prince". The man is a force of nature and when purple rain was released he had the number one single, album and film in America, and also won an Oscar for best original score.



He has recorded an album with Miles Davis which has only ever been released as a bootleg, and had so many songs in him he barely knew what to do with them for example when the bangles hit number two on the US billboard chart with a previously unreleased prince song, Manic Monday it was second only to his own Kiss. He was the hardest working man in music in the eighties and one of the most prolific songwriters the world of pop music and hell I’ll bet he’s still got a few classics left in him yet. Anyway here’s a couple of great songs which if you haven’t heard are well worth a listen:


Prince - Pop Life(Fresh Dance Mix)

Prince - Baby I'm a Star


8 comments:

Tugboat said...

Brian you said you would do it. Well done. Coincidentally, the video for Purple Rain was on this morning on E4 (and of course I thought of you when I saw it, and this long-overdue post), and having not really watched it before, it blew me away to be honest.

And Pop Life. Tune and 50 halves.

magooo said...

brilliant.

deklin said...

member that time there was no DJ in the VIP room and you put on Purple Rain and Rasberry Beret and we were the only ones dancing? hott timez...

Brian said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Brian said...

yeah that was class declan i wish we could party more often although the fact that we don't get to that much is probably why it's always so great when we do.

Daithi said...

amen brother. All you need for a party is prince. I've always been a little worried by his sheena easton infatuation though!

dkln said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
dkln said...

you guys want some grapes?