Sunday, September 10, 2006

Hangover Express

Choo choo. Hangover express, and I'm tied to the tracks - KABLAMMO! Rob, I sympathise.


I often have life-affirming thoughts while hungover and resolve that when I'm back to full strength I'll, y'know, sort my fucking life out. (But of course, the next day it amounts to a load of old bollocks.)

Anyway, onwards to the cumbersomely titled...

Recommendations for Tracks I've Found Elsewhere on the Internet and Thoroughly Enjoyed This Week (in countdown format, because - why not?):

5: YES - Heart of the Sunrise [MP3 from here]
The music used for the amazing climactic scene in Vincent Gallo's brilliant Buffalo '66. If you haven't seen it, I simply can't recommend it enough. As for the tune: P-R-O-G.



4: ELLEN ALLIEN - Just a Woman [MP3 here; Info here]
The German Queen of Techno's contribution to a split 12" with Audion (whose side was titled, yep, you guessed it, "Just a Man"). Delighted to find this in a deadly record store in Berlin, where they actually sold things you wanted to buy. It's a good job I didn't have all my spending money out with me that day, or I'd have, y'know, spent it all. Also delighted to find an MP3 of it on the trusty old interweb, considering my record player is rubbish (an Irish Times reader offer, for Christ's sake) and I'm lazy. Relentless minimal banger - listen very loud indeed.

3: ALEX SMOKE - Pingu [MP3 here again]
Monsieur Smoke is one DJ I would absolutely love to see live. Recent LP Paradolia offered more of his trademark downbeat moods matched with banging minimal beats. This one, from the earlier Simple Things EP is a more straightforward affair, but powerful nonetheless. Again, listen loud!

2: PAUL KALKBRENNER - Gia 2000 (Modeselektor remix) [MP3 from these cool fuckers]
Part of a forthcoming remix album coming soon on Ellen Allien's BPitch Control label, Modeselektor give this one their typically delightful mish-mash treatment, in this case with a nice reggae-ific tinge.

1: EASY STAR ALL*STARS (FEAT. TOOTS & THE MAYTALS) - Let Down (Radiohead Cover) [MP3 here]
Staying on a reggae tip: this has been doing the rounds for a while I think, but I only got me dirty mitts on it this week. Toots & The Maytals have a great loose, rough-around-the-edges feel to their music and this beautiful cover is simultaneously sad and joyful. And just listen to his voice!


All thoroughly enjoyable in their own way. Plus, if you've got nothing to read at the minute, I've just finished reading and would heartily recommend John Peel's autobiography, Margrave of the Marshes, half-finished by Peel before his death, and completed by his wife Sheila. As you'd expect, it's a hilarious and charming read.

Oh, PLUS: more new contributors to join us very soon!

4 comments:

dkln said...

aw baby, that Easy Star cover is pure class. thanks for the memories.

Tugboat said...

Thanks for the mammaries.

Tugboat said...

Fuck sakes. The new YouTube thing's pure gammy-lookin.

Aidan, mostly said...

Fucking loving the Radiohead reggae.